February 16, 2011

Methi Rice



Its valentine's day and my hubby has too much work and there are no groceries at home! what a gift! huh. So I was left with minimal things and had to manage with the stuff. I was too ambitious to cook something really good and surprise my hubby. But annoyingly the leftover leaves of methi, and some "ready to perish" tomatoes and potatoes are laughing at my state! But I was not going to give up. Thanks to basmati rice that stocked up since long. I pulled out the bag and thought of making methi rice. Here goes the recipe..


ingredients
Rice- plain or basmati
Methi leaves
Tomato-1
Onion-1
Spices for tadka


procedure 
Put tadka and fry onions. Add tomato and mix and mash it so that it becomes like paste. Now add methi leaves and mix the stuff till the leaves start to disappear. Now add rice and mix the whole stuff. You can add some pepper powder, or any masala powder for taste -along with salt and turmeric. Let it fry for 2-3 minutes. Now put the whole stuff in a cooker (pressure or electric). Add water accordingly and let it boil. 

Yummy methi rice is ready!


my hubby cleaned the whole bowl and asked for some more! ahem ahem i prepared very little and promised that i will cook again :). you can have the dish with raita or just by itself! either ways, its yummy....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Swathi..you should take pictures too and put them. You eat with your eyes first.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmyyyyy !!

:) said...

yummy....
u can add ghee/ butter immediately after opening the cooker, when the rice is still hot. it adds to the taste, smell n hunger to eat it asap.

I'll try this n get back to u.